Re: TR3 top

To: KEVIN KEALTY <kkealty@rogers.com>, TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 top
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 13:34:31 -0700
KEVIN KEALTY wrote:

> I have a unused Robbins top (#2204).  I have placed it on my car with
> the bows in their up position and holding the windshield side in
> place, it won't reach all the way to the back studs.  I suppose I
> could install the lift-the-dot fasteners on the top and try to stretch
> it, but it seems to me that I shouldn't have to do that unless the top
> has shrunken while in its box.

Usual techniques include uncocking the bows on each side, fitting the
top, then pressing the bows home.  That is how the TR4 manual says to
erect the '4 top and it works on the '3 also.

Alternate method is to detach the middle bow from its straps, allowing
it to be pulled forward whilst top is snapped on, then pushing it back
into position once all connections are made.

I use a combination of these 2 methods.  The tops can & do shrink over
time -- can shrink a lot.  In addition, I have long suspected that some
aftermarket tops & tonneaus (Robbins in my case) are made using shrunken
originals as patterns -- compounding the problem.

My concern would be that the resulting fit could be tight enough to
damage the windscreen when the bows are popped into place.  How much are
you short?

> Also, it came with 4 large pieces of top material with angled ends -
> any idea as to what am I supposed to do with them?

Kit to make a matching belt?

Geo Hahn