Re: Mystery wires

To: sdhiller@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mystery wires
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 08:15:20 EDT
In a message dated 4/18/2005 6:49:03 AM Central Standard Time,
sdhiller@comcast.net writes:
> Hi all - I have a '76 TR6 that was restored by the prior owner about 4
> years
> ago.  Under the hood, to the right of the hood release latch bracket, there
> is
> a male spade connector that appears to be soldered or screwed to the sheet
> metal.  The connector was painted when the engine compartment was repainted,
> and it still has paint on it.  I found, tucked up in the wiring harness, two
> wires (can't determine the colors because of overspray) connected to a
> single
> female spade connector.  I assume this is some sort of a ground.  All
> electrical components of the vehicle seem to be working properly with this
> disconnected.  Does anyone know what these two wires do?  Am I correct that
> as
> long as there's no voltage/current on that wire with the ignition key off
> that
> it would be safe to reconnect?

Your best bet is to get some lacquer thinner and clean off the paint so you
can see the color of the wires.  Black wires are earth (ground) and being
attached to the chassis this is probably what they are.  And if the are not
making
good ground contact something is not working or at least working right.

Dave