RE: Water Pump Bolts for a TR3A

To: "Joe Lynn" <jlynn604@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: Water Pump Bolts for a TR3A
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:10:54 -0700
> I need to replace the two bolts that hold the water pump body onto the
> block on my TR3A. Moss lists these as NA and the part number (HB.0968)
> doesn't show up on the TRF web search.

According to the Standard Triumph Hardware catalog, HB0968 is 3/8 UNC (16
tpi) 2-1/4" long.

TRF has them listed under HB968, $.80/each.

> Is there any reason why
> these grade 8 bolts shouldn't be used?

Odds are very good that your local hardware store will not have the 1/4"
increments in length.  Although it's not hard to cut down a longer bolt if
you have the tools, I'd suggest just buying from TRF.  Grade 8 will work
just fine (but is more of a pain to cut threads if you try to cut down a
longer bolt).  Of course, it's possible the hole is deep enough to take a
2-1/2" bolt, but I'd measure very carefully before making such a
substitution.  The holes aren't always tapped to the bottom, and the last
thing you want is a bolt that bottoms in the hole instead of clamping the
housing properly.

Don't forget the anti-seize and new lockwashers when you put it back
together.

Randall