RE: Rack & Pinion Steering - what grease/oil?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rack & Pinion Steering - what grease/oil?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 18:54:36 -0700
> Speaking of steering racks, I'm confused about what lube I should use on my
> TR4A. The factory manual says to give it 3-4 strokes of the grease gun every
> 6K, which is what it says to do with those pesky trunnions, too.  It's not
> real clear on what kind of grease, but we know now to use gear oil in the
> trunnions.   I also saw in one of the Roadster Factory booklets that GL4 is
> also the right stuff for steering racks. So, is it grease or gear oil?

My 4A owner's manual says "Hypoid oil" every 6K miles for the trunnions, but "5
strokes only" of grease every 12K miles for the steering rack.  There's also a
caution against over-lubricating.  The "Recommended lubricants" page has a whole
list of specific recommended greases, but IMO any quality lithium "multipurpose"
grease should do fine.

I doubt it's critical ... but just like the trunnions, the steering racks may be
slightly different and so I'd stick with the OEM recommendation unless you've a
specific reason to change.  Some models did have oil recommended for the
steering rack (like my Sports 6), others did not (like my Stag).

Randall