Re: TR4A vs TR6 rag top frame

To: "Ted" <triumph66@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: TR4A vs TR6 rag top frame
From: "Gerald M Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 07:14:25 -0400
Ted,
The first example is not for a TR4A in spite of what the ad says. It has the
wrong header rail and front clamp arrangement. The second example is correct
for a 4A.

Using a TR6 type frame on a 4A would necessitate being certain that the
windshield frame is correct for the mating header rail. While I am certain
of the top frame differences I am less certain of the windshield frame
differences. The reason that I say that is that I don't know if the 2 holes
in the 4A windshield frame are properly sized and located to accept the TR6
style header rail and latch. Also I doubt that the TR6 Windshield frame has
holes drilled for the TR4A latches.

I am fairly certain that the balance of a TR6 frame would work well on a
TR4A. I believe that the side rails were incorporated to better seal the
tops of the door windows. That leads to the tops themselves being different
between a 6 and 4A in the areas above the door windows.

My guess is that your Dad had a TR6 Top that he wanted to use on the 4A and
traveled this road before us figuring out how to modify the top frame to
accomplish his goal. The result would have been the nice feature of the 6
top to un-zip the rear window and allow air to flow through on really hot
and sunny days.

In conclusion, yes the top frames will interchange between the 4A and the 6
but you will need a TR 6 Top and windshield frame to make the adaptation
complete. Or use the one that your Dad modified but use a TR6 Top to cover
it.

Hope this helps.

JVV