RE: Breaking In An Engine

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Breaking In An Engine
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:34:41 -0400
List,
I am apprehensive too.. The web linked site refers to the assumption that
parts and techniques available today are superior to what was available when
the "old school" break in method was developed. Based upon the fabled
stories of the current quality of rebuild components available to us, I
would be a little scared to use this technique. Just recently there was a
oil pump tolerance thread that kind of goes against the assumption that
currently available components are made better than the originals.
I have spent close to $1,000.00 just for parts to rebuild my TR4A motor and
I think I will be going the conservative break in route myself. Getting
$1,000.00 for Triumph parts from "the accounting department" was not an easy
task. Getting another $1,000.00 to rebuild it again after some future
disaster would be more painful than practical if you know what I mean..
Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A