RE: Breaking In An Engine

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Breaking In An Engine
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:11:53 -0700
> I am apprehensive too.. The web linked site refers to the assumption that
> parts and techniques available today are superior to what was
> available when
> the "old school" break in method was developed.

Would it make you feel any better to know that both Kas Kastner and Greg
Solow (of The Engine Room) have recommended something similar ?

Greg has been building LBC engines since 1971, and suggests first a 10
minute run-in at roughly 2000 rpm (fast idle) for the cam & lifters to mate.
Shut down to retorque   Then for engines to be used on the road, he says to
pull from 2500 to 4000 rpm at full throttle, 10 times in succession, using
dynamic braking to slow back down to 2500 each time.  Then for the next 500
miles or so, drive the car 'normally' but try to vary the engine speed (like
curvy mountain roads, which Santa Cruz has in abundance) and gradually push
it up to redline.

Randall