Re: 2,000,000 mile car

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 2,000,000 mile car
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:38:22 -0600
Paul Dorsey wrote:

>How can you say that?  My man, 2 million miles that's 80 trips around the
>globe!  (At 25,000 mi at the equator.)
>A car's first function is to get humankind from point A to point B.  2 million
>is quite a spread apart!

I believe Randall meant that the fact that Irv's been in the newspapers
doesn't prove anything.

Volvo has done an effective job at marketing reliability and safety
since the 60's when Irv started at zero. While strangers ask me what
year my Triumph is, they ask me how many miles my '66 Volvo has. If it's
a Volvo owner asking, I sometimes say I'm not sure how many times the
odometer has rolled over so they're not dissappointed. :) 170K miles
doesn't seem like much compared to Irv's car.

Thanks to my home office, and a short walk to take my boys to school,
I'll be hardpressed to hit 100K in the Triumph or 200K in the Volvo
anytime soon.

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO
'62 TR4