RE: 2,000,000 mile car

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 2,000,000 mile car
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:12:28 -0700
> I believe Randall meant that the fact that Irv's been in the newspapers
> doesn't prove anything.

Yes, exactly.  Sorry Paul, I didn't realize you were responding to my
comment.

Although frankly, I'm more amazed at Irv's endurance than the car's.  Having
a car run 2 million miles in 40 years doesn't seem nearly as amazing as
having driven that far, to me.

Cars can be pretty much infinitely repaired, and IMO except for things that
get replaced periodically anyway (for a high mileage car), the miles driven
aren't as hard on the car as simple age, and neglected maintenance.  Just as
an example, I bought a car that Consumer Reports rated "one of the 10 worst"
in 1980, and drove it some 250,000 miles before finally selling it.  Never
had the heads or oil pan off.  (Although I did replace the transaxle several
times, due to a severe design flaw.)

For that matter, I'm pretty sure my wrecked TR3A was on it's third time
around the dial, if not the 4th.  Had mileage showing in the low teens when
I bought it, and I put over 160,000 on it.  Never did get around to doing a
proper rebuild on the engine ...

Randall