Engine Break In-Silly Question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Break In-Silly Question
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:12:08 -0400
I know, I know.  I was a literature major, what do I know about physics?
...That's the point!

I don't get the debate about engine break ins.  From a layman's perspective,
an engine breaks in due to cycling of the engine, and the question is, do we
cycle the engine "hard" or "gentle."  Is there a variable added by the "hard"
part, other than simply getting to the magic "break-in number" of engine
revolutions faster?

I also don't get the "hard" theory (the internet citation that was shared)
that 4 to 5 pounds of spring pressure of the rings can't hold back lots of gas
combustion pressure.  Doesn't combustion blow-by exert force downward, so the
side of the ring pushes against the piston groove, not sideways against the
true "spring' of the ring, right?  Some gas, I suppose would squeeze between
the ring and the wall, but not the full force of the combustion surely?

I do have to say, I've always preferred the "easy' method, because I've
worried that the bearing tolerances might accidentally be too tight, allowing
insufficient oil, and high RPMs could "dry" the little oil getting in and wipe
the bearing and/or scratch the crank journal, whereas low RPM's would allow
the journal to get that little bit of oil wear itself into the bearing without
harming anything.

Man, I love talking about stuff I know nothing about.  ...Gives me empathy for
my wife's mother.

Terry Smith
Ain't saying where I'm from this time.....  :o)