RE: Help needed

To: "Triumph Email List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Help needed
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 17:36:14 -0700
> I am trying to remove the harmonic balancer from my TR6 engine.
> An issue I
> am having is there is enough movement in the engine/drive train -
> even with
> the car in gear and chocked - so that the breaker bar acts like it is
> winding up and doesn't have enough free movement to break the nut loose on
> the balancer.
>
> Ideas?  Options?

I'd probably start by taking a look at the differential, to find out where
all that movement is coming from.  Sounds like you might have broken diff
mounts (which I understand are a common problem with TR6 and many vendors
sell a reinforcement kit).  They break up above the diff, so it can be hard
to see without removing it or watching while someone puts torque on it.

Easiest option for me would be an impact wrench on the center bolt ... the
inertia of the engine provides sufficient resistance to remove the bolt
easily.

Assuming you don't have an impact wrench (or the radiator out), next option
might be propping the breaker bar against the ground or a suitably padded
frame rail and hitting the starter (shift to neutral first, obviously).

Last resort would be beating on the breaker bar with a BFH, basically an
"Armstrong" impact wrench.  I keep a mangled old Craftsman bar around just
for jobs like this ... haven't managed to break it yet but if I ever do,
Sears will replace it.

Another thought might be grabbing the harmonic dampener with something, like
a chain wrench.  But, there's a risk that might damage the rubber dampening
layer ?  (IMO it should be strong enough, but I'm not certain.)

Yet another, if you've got a buddy to help : remove the starter and use a
prybar on the flywheel teeth.

Randall