TR3A Front Hub Oil Seal

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3A Front Hub Oil Seal
From: "JPG" <jpg2@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 19:45:31 -0500
I need to double check the correct positioning of the front hub oil seal
on a TR3A. Haynes, the Service Manual and another source all say that
the oil seal is to be positioned with the felt facing toward the center
(centre) of the car. I just took the back wheel bearing off and found
that the apparently DPO had the felt facing out. The back of the bearing
was embedded in the felt. Because it apparently worked fine that way for
thousands of miles, I began doubting the manuals. So in my confusion, I
turn to the wisdom of the list..

What's correct? If the felt is facing the center of the car or inward
then the back of the rear bearing is against the metal washer that holds
the felt, right?

Thanks in advance

Jack Gleason
1959 TR3A