RE: TR3A Front Hub Oil Seal

To: "JPG" <jpg2@comcast.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A Front Hub Oil Seal
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 22:17:37 -0400
Jack,
The seal definitely faces the center of the car.  IMO the DPO was lucky not
to have a bearing failure if he felt was packed around the bearing.  The
felt is designed to ride against the flats on the spindle and keep dust,
dirt, water etc., from entering the back side of the bearing.  The felt will
catch a lot of dirt etc and if installed backwards will mash those into the
bearing rather than protect it.  It does compress upon installation so there
must have been a fairly good seal between the metal seat of the seal and the
spindle.  Even if no dirt entered into the bearing cavity, the felt alone
could have caused bearing problems.
Pete