RE: water pump weeping

To: "Ronnie Babbitt" <rbtr3a@cox.net>, "Triumphs"
Subject: RE: water pump weeping
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 22:16:30 -0700
> Hey guys, I just had the radiator repaired in my Sports six, when I
> reinstalled it and filled it, I noticed that the water pump is weeping. I
> have never noticed this before. I am scheduled to leave tomorrow for a 2
> hour trip.  Is this a sign of Quick failure of the pump? It has been dry now
> for three days or should I run for a few minutes?

Ronnie, I'd suggest a quick drive around the block and a recheck.  IMO the odds
are that you have a problem, but it's an easy thing to try.  And you could
probably go on your trip anyway ... I've certainly driven many 100's of miles
with a leaking water pump on my TR3A.  Keep an eye on the temp gauge while
you're driving (fortunately the Sports 6 has one, unlike the Vitesse) and stop
for water if it reads either high or low.  But if it's just weeping, you can
probably just fill the water when you stop for gas.

And of course plan on a new/rebuilt pump soon, since that water is probably
running through the rear bearing.

Randall