Re: TR3A Caliper brake rebuild

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3A Caliper brake rebuild
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 05:29:05 EDT
Hi Paul,

Your outline of the procedure is correct.

The steel clip isn't used on your calipers, assuming they are original to
your car.

Most of those kits are supplied to service the calipers on all years of TRs,
and the later cars have a slightly different dust boot arrangement, held in
place with that clip.

But, TR3 and at least some TR4 use an earlier style boot that doesn't require
the clip..

I'm not sure exactly when the change was made, but TR6 seem have the clip,
maybe TR250, TR4A too. I'm not certain.

So, simply don't use it in your rebuild.

A little "brake assembly" grease or oil can make that job easier.

It's always a bit of a trick to get the pistons to slip into the caliper just
right, plus the dust boots stretched over them and fully seated in the slot
in the piston. It's one of those silly jobs that should be easy, but can make
you crazy.

I'd rate it a two-Guiness job.

Someone suggested using a little low-pressure compressed air blown in through
the bleeder or line connection hole, to get the boot to pop into place over
the piston. I had some success with that, but had to restort to a dull hooked
tool on a couple, to tease them into place carefully without damaging them.

Be sure to check that the pistons move reasonably freely after they are
installed. If the piston seems tight, can't be moved by hand, the square
shouldered
o-ring inside has likely slipped out of position and gotten pinched and will
leak. The assembly lubricant helps avoid pinching the o-ring.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L
Hello!
I am about to rebuild the front Caliper brakes on my 60 TR3A.  The kit
included dust boots, square-sholdered O-rings and a steel ring for each
brake.  Where does this steel ring go?  I believe the rebuild  procedure is
to lodge the new O-ring in the Caliper's piston hole then mount the dust
cover over this hole and insert the piston.  Am I right?
Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3A