TR4 brake restrictor valve

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 brake restrictor valve
From: "Dean Mericas" <dmericas@limno.com>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 08:12:29 -0400
I'm experiencing a problem with the brakes on my TR4, and I'd like to get
the wisdom of the list.

I recently switched over to DOT5 silicone brake fluid.  As part of the
switch, I rebuilt all the hydraulics and flushed the lines with brake
cleaner. Since then, the brake pedal tends to stick part way up. Not enough
to keep the brakes full on, but enough to drag. It eventually returns all
the way, sometimes requiring a tap of the pedal.  I figured that I had
screwed up something when I rebuilt the master cylinder, but I took it apart
and all appears fine. The problem remains.

Now I'm thinking that the brake cleaner may have messed up something in the
brake restrictor valve.  The part appears to be NLA.

My questions:

1) Is this something that can be refurbished or replaced with a similar part
from another car?

2) Is the valve necessary? Rimmer shows it as not always being fitted.

Thanks.

Dean Mericas
1965 TR4
1974 2000 GTV