head gasket problems?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: head gasket problems?
From: "George Perkins" <george_perkins@btopenworld.com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 19:17:03 +0100
Hi All

I have a 1973 TR6 PI.  I have just serviced it and found that plugs 2, 5 and
6 were quite black with carbon but 1,3,4 were nearer the grey brown Id
expect.  Until I bought the car last year it covered less than 1000 miles a
year.  It has sat idle during the winter apart from starting it up every
month to warm it to operating temp.  I assume that 5 and 6 carry more carbon
because thats were the enrichment happens but why would 2 be carrying more
carbon?

Also I noticed last year when I took it out that when I got back there was
always a tiny amount of mayonnaise on the oil filler cap. No more than 1/8th
inch deep and the same around the filler neck.  I thought it might be
running cold as the temp gauge showed a quarter hot.  During the service I
flushed the system using a flushing agent and have renewed all hoses
including the two from bulkhead to heater, thermostat and temp sender unit
and the temperature now reads just under half.  I changed the oil after
using a flushing additive to clear any rubbish from the system.
Unfortunately after a 40 mile run today I still have the small amount of
mayonnaise on the inside of the oil cap.  I have not noticed the car using
any water but given the amount of mayonnaise is so small maybe its seeping.
Is this likely just to be condensation or has the head gasket started to go?

Thanks in advance

George

George Perkins

Farthingdown