Re: TR6 Ignition Problems

To: <suhringtr36@comcast.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Ignition Problems
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 08:42:14 -0600
Scott, this wasnt mentioned but I would try the old method of removing a spark
plug wire and holding it close to but not touching a clean ground, whilst
having someone try starting the engine.  You should see a nice blue spark at
regular intervals as the rotor comes around to fire that cylinder.  If  so,
then the problem is probably fuel related.  If not, then the problem is likely
to be somewhere in the electricals.  You should be able to work backwards to
isolate the problem, but holler if you need more guidance.  Otherwise, check
for vacuum leaks and make sure the anti-run-on valve is not open.  Hope this
helps.

John Lumia - 1976 TR6

Scott wrote:>>
Well, I had my first AAA tow with my '70 TR6 in over 8 years.  After a 100+
mile ralley through beautiful Lancaster County, my wife and I left the
restaurant to head home.  The 6 fired right up and made it onto the busy
highway when it hiccupped once and then died.  It first wanted to fire on
the initial restart but alas, nothing.  After looking for the obvious pulled
wires and making sure I didn't get my butt taken off my a truck,  the wife
jumped into the drivers seat and I pushed it back to the parking lot.  Based
on the symptoms, I immediately felt it had to be the ignition. So, I removed
the petronix and dropped in the spare points I keep in the tool kit.
Adjusted the gap and tried again, with the same result.  Due to the time, we
decided to get the tow home. The young guy never towed a Triumph but a
number of MGs.  He did take a picture of it on the flat bed as he keeps a
collection of tows for exotic cars (yes, I did feel privileged).

Tonight I checked to make sure the carbs were getting fuel, which they are.
I then replaced the distributor cap.  Then pulled out my old (at least 15
years) coil and replaced the Sports Coil. The wires and plugs are new this
spring and they look fine.  I do not know the condition of the old coil or
that the condenser is operational (Fred recalls the last time I had a bad
bought of condenser ills).  The rotor is fine and turning properly.  I also
reviewed Dan's electrical book and felt I was proceeding in the correct
direction.