Re: TR6 Ignition Problems

To: suhringtr36@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Ignition Problems
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 08:04:47 EDT
In a message dated 5/16/2005 9:26:50 PM Central Standard Time,
suhringtr36@comcast.net writes:
> Tonight I checked to make sure the carbs were getting fuel, which they are.
> I then replaced the distributor cap.  Then pulled out my old (at least 15
> years) coil and replaced the Sports Coil. The wires and plugs are new this
> spring and they look fine.  I do not know the condition of the old coil or
> that the condenser is operational (Fred recalls the last time I had a bad
> bought of condenser ills).  The rotor is fine and turning properly.  I also
> reviewed Dan's electrical book and felt I was proceeding in the correct
> direction.

The rotor may be turning fine but that doesn't mean it is OK.  Pull the coil
wire from the cap and hold the brass end close to the engine block and have
someone crank the engine.  Do you get spark?  If so repeat this test with a
plug
wire.  You will have to stick a screwdriver up the boot and hold the
screwdriver close to the engine block.  If you get no spark you may be
suffering from
an oft too common malady of rotor failure.

Don't worry it happens to the best of us and the onset is sudden as you
witnessed.  The remedy is also quite simple.  Replace the rotor.  I carry a
couple
of spares from different sources hoping that the defective rotors have not
totally permeated the distribution network.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6
80 TR8