RE: TR6 Ignition Problems

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Ignition Problems
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 09:06:09 -0700
> If you get no spark you may
> be suffering from
> an oft too common malady of rotor failure.

Just to emphasize Dave's point, I was witness to a failure of this type on the
way home from VTR 2000.  Since the car was running poorly, the victim had
replaced the cap & rotor at VTR with new ones.  Less than 200 miles later it
stopped running completely.

Even after we were certain that the rotor had failed, it was impossible to see
what was wrong with it!  There had to be a carbon track through the rotor,
connecting the brass contact to the distributor shaft, but we all looked and
could not see it.  Since no one in the group had a spare 4-cyl rotor, we hacked
down a 6-cyl rotor.  Fixed the underlying problem (plug boot not making good
contact to the wire) and drove the remaining 800 miles or so home with no
further problems. (With that car, anyway.)

Randall