TR6 engine rebuild needed

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 engine rebuild needed
From: TOMJOANNMI@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 14:13:49 EDT
Well folks, this project just keeps getting more expensive. The mechanic
doing the restoration of my 75 TR6 called me last night to tell me that the
motor
is "frozen" and won't turn.   I assume that this means the pistons are
corroded to the cylinder walls from being stored for 25 years in a garage. He
also
said that there was "excessive gunk" under the rocker cover when he removed it.
He is not a British car mechanic and suggested that I have the engine rebuilt
by someone familiar with this engine. The questions I have are these:
     1) What work can I expect to be required to fix this engine? It had only
23,000 mi on it prior to being stored, but no special treatment was performed
prior to parking it in the garage. It did run well as I remember, but
suffered some body damage in an accident, which was why it was taken out of
service.
     2) What can I expect to pay for this type of rebuild?
     3) I live in NE Pennsylvania. Does anyone have a recommendation as to a
good mechanic in the area to do this work? The only British car repair shop in
the area is Cross Valley Auto in Plains,PA. Does anyone have any experience
with these guys? I am going to stop by their shop to talk to them today.
     This is very disheartening. I thought I was going to get away with just
some gasket changes and minor engine work. Thanks in advance for your advice.
BTW, I'm going to Carlisle this weekend for the foreign car show, first time
for me. What kind of Triumph stuff can I expect to see at this?( ?flea market,
exhibits, show cars, etc)

                                                                 Tom Miller
 75 TR6   CF 36713 U