Electric radiator fan attachment

To: triumphs-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Electric radiator fan attachment
From: "John A. Wise" <JohnWise@alumni.pitt.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 10:40:40 -0700
I was back at the radiator shop yesterday getting a spare "bung" to
take to the NAPA store to be sure I get the correct sized electric
fan switch.  While we were talking he suggested that if I were using
an electric fan fan that I not use the plastic "wire wrap type" that
go through the radiator fins, but rather bring it back & he will put
some metal attach points on the radiator structure.

His argument was that over time the bouncing will loosen the fins &
maybe damage the tubes.  I still have the front apron off the car so
it would only take a few minutes to remove the radiator & run it over
to his shop.

His logic seem reasonable, but I am wondering if it would be worth
the hassle?  Has anyone ever had trouble with the plastic after
market mounting strips damaging their radiator??

John
John A. Wise, Ph.D., CPE
Glendale, AZ

JohnWise@alumni.pitt.edu