RE: TR3A Tranny Rebuild

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A Tranny Rebuild
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 11:24:35 -0700
> A couple of questions.....
>          1. Any idea why the 2nd gear bush would break and should I be
> looking for the culprit?

It's a known weak spot.  Make sure the replacement moves easily against both
the mainshaft and the gear, and stands proud of the gear by the specified
amount.  Also make sure the clearances between the stack of bushings is
right.

>          2. What else should I replace while I am in there?

I'd do at least the seals, thrust washers, countershaft bearings and 2nd
gear synchro ring.  Plus of course anything that fails examination.  The
clip that holds everything on the mainshaft has to be replaced each time ...
get a couple of spares in case you don't get it all right the first time.

Good luck
Randall