Re: TR4 Hartop

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Hartop
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 20:32:41 EDT
Hi again Craig,

Try www.smoothline.com (I have to credit john, in MA who emailed me with
clues to find the website!)

Looks like the same top. Maybe they offer replacement windows. One key
difference with the factory tops is that this one sits onto the aluminum trim
finishers around the rear rim of the cockpit. The Triumph hard top called for
those
to be removed (and longer stainless trim strips need to be installed along the
top of the fenders).

Something to consider... Unless you find one locally, you'll have an
*oversize* shipping charge on any top, new or used or off eBay. I'd guess $200
is
about typical, depending on distance, although it might be cheaper by Greyhound
bus or some other means.

The best I was quoted to get a top from England to California was equivalent
to $600, shipping only, plus an import duty of approx. 10%.

If you are seriously considering buying from England, has anyone had any
experience with
http://www.honeybournemouldings.co.uk/triumph%20surrey%20lid.htm
two-piece top that looks nearly identical to the factory top?

Personally, I don't think I'd put one of those ultra-light, one-piece tops on
a street car. It's pretty thin fiberglass and not finished inside.

Cheers!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L
I'm not sure the price is right (ebay item number 4551683480). The
seller wants $200 to ship it, so even if it sells at the opening price
of $100, it is right up there with a similar hardtop in good condition
that sold for $305 on eBay a few days ago. (I bid $250.00)

I googled "TR4 Hardtop", but it did not turn up any companies still
making them. The closest I came was a one-piece fiberglass
"competition" hardtop (gel coat, no fittings, no photo) at Cambridge
Motorsports for 345 Pounds Sterling (about $628).

Craig Foch
San Luis Obispo, CA
1963 TR4 CT22268L