RE: Removing the crankshaft pulley

To: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>, "Triumphs"
Subject: RE: Removing the crankshaft pulley
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 00:50:00 -0700
> I am looking for suggestions on removing the crankshaft pulley on my TR4A
> motor. Looking at the back of the pulley, I would prefer to pull the pulley
> flange and not the actual pulley itself which is loose. Any suggestions?

Usually, tapping around the backside of the fan flange with a brass hammer will
work it off.

If that doesn't work, you can take out two of the bolts that hold the extension
to the hub, and run long 1/4" bolts through a conventional "harmonic balancer"
puller.  Might need some big flat washers at the puller, as most of them are
designed for bigger bolts.

If you've got the smooth head bolt through the center, then you can just back it
out and let the puller push against the head of the bolt.   Might leave marks on
the bolt, though. Otherwise, a length of 1/2" straight rod (Home Depot) should
do.

Assuming the 4A pulley/hub assembly is similar to the TR2-4, you don't want to
pull against the pulley itself at all, it's sheet metal and will distort easily.
If you use a puller, it has to grab either the hub or the extension.  Might be
able to use a steering wheel puller on the extension (but I don't know if a 4A
has tapped holes in the extension or not).

Randall