RE: Locktite Red and Blue comparisons

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Locktite Red and Blue comparisons
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 01:32:21 -0700
> So the bottom line is that Red may be untorqued with a little extra umph;
> it's not a permanent installation.  I don't know how these results scale to
> threads of other sizes.  Locktite's instructions say to coat the threads on
> both parts, so my results may be lower than proper application would
> achieve, but this test simulates my rod situation pretty closely.

Seems reasonably consistent with the information on Loctite's website, for
example they say breakaway torque for Product 266 on a 10mm bolt is typically 23
ftlb (range 18.75 to 25).
http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/266-EN.PDF

But you've got to be a bit careful just calling them "red" and "blue" ... I
counted over 60 different threadlockers on the site, and at least a third of
them are red.

Randall