Re: Selling my '60 TR-3A (Nigerian scam clarification)

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Selling my '60 TR-3A (Nigerian scam clarification)
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 11:24:35 -0600
Steven Newell wrote:

> eBay might be a good fit, since roughly half of eBay's members are
> wealthy Nigerians, and they all love classic cars. But none of May's
> completed TR3 auctions met reserve. Of three active auctions when I
> searched this morning, only one has met reserve. But maybe you'll be
> the next one. ;)

To clarify, this comment may have been too obscure. I didn't mean to
impugn the integrity of Nigerians or people of African descent in
general. Nigeria is *factually* a center of online and offline fraud.
The most famous email scam is even called "the Nigerian Scam" and is
commonly targeted at car sellers. More information here:
    http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/nigeria.asp

One downside of selling on eBay is that those who are not careful or
informed can be targeted by such thieves, regardless of national origin.
I meant to remind John of this risk in considering a sale on eBay.

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4 x 2