Re: pattern needed

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: pattern needed
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 16:14:36 -0600
Ken Gano, home wrote:

>If anyone has a cardboard radiator shroud for a TR3 out of their car, I
>would greatly appreciate, and pay for a tracing of the pattern.  I want to
>try and make a nice metal shroud and need the general outline (pattern).

Ken, I made one for my TR4. Since my original cardboard TR4 shroud
wasn't an especially good fit anymore, I just cut up a large cardboard
box and fit it up to make a pattern for the metal version. Mine has
slightly taller side sections to scoop more air into the radiator.

You can get a sheet of aluminum (mine is actually aluminium) from Home
Depot. I also recycled some black plastic landscape edging so I wouldn't
cut up my hands on the shroud. I suppose it also reduces vibration
noise. This is the stuff that Home Depot sells to put on the metal
strips you edge garden beds with. Those metal strips, heavy gauge and
about 4" tall, are famous for gouging kids' knees, so landscaping supply
stores sell this black plastic trim to stem the bleeding. Though the
trim holds on well enough, I riveted the plastic trim strips on because
I inherited my Dad's rivet tool and wanted to use it.

Photo here:
    http://www.newellboys.com/parts/alumshroud.jpg

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA