Spitfire trouble

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire trouble
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 18:33:37 -0400
The GT6 is running well but the Spitfire keeps getting sick faster
than I can fix it.

Haven't yet solved the overdrive problem.  It doesn't like to come
out of overdrive.  The problem seems to happen only when it is warm.

I'm beginning to wonder if the cause is just too much oil.  Last
weekend I pulled the solenoid drain plug (as per instructed) and ran
it briefly with the rear wheels off the ground.  As expected it blew
oil vociferously.  Then I removed the filler plug to re-fill it, but
oil gushed out the filler plug too.  Mind you, it was jacked up
rather high in the rear, and the oil was bloated with bubbles which
would increase the effective volume.  So I couldn't tell if it really
was as overfilled as it appeared, nor whether I should drain it until
even with the bottom of the filler hole.  I re-assembled and test
drove it.

On returning from a short errand it stuck on after being engaged for
only 3 seconds.  As I drove home gently it kept easing in and out of
OD.  Once in 2nd gear coming down a hill it dropped out of OD so
quickly that it chirped the tires.

So when I get the chance I'm going to pull the filler plug and drain
it to proper level, I guess.  Any other suggestions?  Bill E at QM
recommended 30w non-detergent oil, which is what I put in it.  Could
this be a factor?

Anyway, as I was putting it in the garage I noticed the wipers parked
at a higher than expected position.  Hmm, when did they move up
there?  Flip on the switch...no movement at all.  Uh-oh.  Did I knock
a wire loose while rummaging with the carpet and tranny cover, I
wonder?  Is the motor or gearing frozen?  One more thing to do.
Plus, I need to address some paint/rust issues.  I wonder if the poor
beast will ever be up to regular use this year.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com