Re: TR4 align bore

To: wbmcleod@cox.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 align bore
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 21:33:57 EDT
In a message dated 5/30/2005 2:08:33 PM Central Standard Time,
wbmcleod@cox.net writes:
> I have been trying to figure out why anyone would mess around with a
> warped TR block, or for that matter, how anyone could get such a huge
> chunk of iron to warp in the first place!  Whoever has the warped block,
> there must be many of us with several extra blocks, like me, that would
> love to get them gone to someone that can use them.....  Pay the
> freight, it's yours!

The blocks haven't warped.  The reason for align boring is to correct main
bearing alignment from the factory.  The Factory machined these in the only way
they could afford with their budget: the most cost effective way.  The result
is the main bearings don't all line up and the crank will flex (or at least
until the bearings wear in).  Align boring will set all the main bearings on
the
same axis allowing the crank to turn more freely and fles less resulting in a
more durable power plant.

If you're going to dump a couple grand into an engine rebuild it just makes
sense to do this as well as a balance.  If nothing else it gives you bragging
rights!  ;-)

Cheers

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6 (with an engine rebuild in the near future)
80 TR8