Electronic Ignition

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Electronic Ignition
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 20:55:20 -0500
I got fed up with the poor quality points and rotors I was getting from the
Big Three. On a recent 300 mile trip, the rubbbing block of the points wore
completely off, leaving no adjustment. A lister suggested going to Standard
brand points and they do look like higher quality.

Before I put on the new points, however, my local parts purveyor offered me
a Pertronics to try at a bargain price because he wanted my endorsement for
some other customers. I was so flattered I took him up on it.

No hassle installing, ran just fine for about a month, and then suddenly
the car refused to run over 3000 rpm. After changing everything imaginable
on the carbs to no avail, I replaced the Pertronics with points and the
problem went away.

There has been a lot of discussion on the list about various successes and
various problems with the Pertronics, but I have a question for the
collective wisdom of the list:  What is it that goes wrong with these things?

uncle jack