RE: filling is draining me

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: filling is draining me
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:08:04 -0700
> No one seems to have yet mentioned what is the likely cause for
> this  problem
> to begin with. Correct me if I'm all wrong (it happens...a lot!), but I
> suspect that the main reason for these plugs getting "stuck" in
> the TR gearbox
> case is the classic dissimilar metal reaction between a steel
> plug and an alloy
> gearbox case.

Can't say that's wrong, but I've seen some really tight ones that didn't
have any signs of corrosion.  IMO it's more likely to be a side effect of
the differential expansion of the dissimilar metals, and the tapered nature
of the plug.

> Maybe  some propane torch heat?

Would definitely help, IMO.  Heating the case will cause it to expand faster
than the plug.  But don't get too carried away, or you'll char the oil left
on the inside of the case.  A regular propane torch probably wouldn't get it
that hot, but be careful with that OA flame.

> The equally obvious (to me) solution is not necessarily in a
> different  style
> of plug, but in lubricating or coating the threads of a new plug with a
> "never seize" compound.

Like the Teflon pipe dope I already suggested ?

> And maybe removing and replacing the plug
> more often?  ;-)

Well ... maybe ... but be honest, how long has it been since you've had the
fill plug out of ALL your Triumphs ?
<g>
Not to mention all the gearboxes stored in the rafters ... got a few of
those myself.

Randall