Re: Tach cable problem on 250

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tach cable problem on 250
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 10:56:47 -0700
Pat Fischer wrote:

> While driving my TR to work a couple weeks ago, the tach was operating
> normally - then it wasn't. I saw a brief bob of the needle, and then
> it dropped to 0.  We have a new cable we're trying to install...

My speedo cable broke a couple of weeks ago, got a new cable and it
broke too.  Then I did what I should have done in the first place --
checked to see if the speedo head would turn.  It would not, was frozen
solid.

You can check it by inserting something squarish into it and trying to
turn -- a small Phillips screwdriver may work.  Should turn very easily.

Mine was bound up by a spot of corrosion in the shaft of one of the
odometer gears.  Took all that apart, dressed the shaft with a bit of
fine emery cloth, lubed it (the shaft had depressions in it for holding
a bit of grease) and now it works perfectly.  That won't be the exact
problem on your tach (no odo gears) but there are other places it can
get bound up in there.  Tachs are much simplers than speedos but use the
same basic principle (spinning magnet & drag cup)

The previously mentioned Tony Rhodes site is the place to go if you have
any doubts about how to service tachs & speedos...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rhodes/

Geo Hahn