TR6 Front Hub adjustment, etc.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Front Hub adjustment, etc.
From: Pete Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 07:26:17 -0700
Hi everyone For some reason, about six months ago, I stopped receiving
triumphlist mail. Dunno why. Yesterday I re-subscribed, though, and I
have a few questions:

I recently completed a rebuild of the front suspension on my TR6, and
within about a week, I discovered the hubs had loosened substantially.
So, I removed the cotter pin and re-adjusted the nuts and replaced the
cotter pins (with new pins).

The rebuild included: Nylatron bushings, new trunnions, new trunnion
hardware (thru-bolt, bushings), new brake rotors, new tie rod ends, new
ball joints, new hub seals, new poly spring pads.

One question is, is it normal to have to readjust the hubs? I didn't
actually replace the bearings because they were only about 2 or 3 years
old and couldn't have more than about 3000 miles on 'em.

Another question: Right now the castellated nuts are threaded onto the
spindle far enough that the cotter pins aren't nestled into the little
slots quite as securely as I'd like. I mean, they're in there, and the
nuts won't turn. But if I have to tighten them up AGAIN (which I doubt)
then I'll have to shim the nuts out with an additional washer so that
the nuts will properly engage the cotter pins. Does this indicate
anything ominous to any of you? (I should point out that the spindles
are fairly new about 2 or 3 years old, and came from VB)

Last question (actually, more of a gripe than a question): This car is
wearing the Moss competition coil springs, (at all four corners) which I
first installed back in about 1989. Until now, I have never had them
installed with any pads. I have never like these Moss springs because,
although they support the car well, I noticed way back when that both
fronts and rears had the same free length as their OEM counterparts.
Since the Moss springs have a higher rate, that means the ride height
will be higher than stock, and I think that's lame. Anyway, in the
interest of thoroughness, I put the poly spring pads in from British
Parts Northwest and now I wish I hadn't, because since there were no
pads previously, now the front of the car rides noticeably higher. It
was barely acceptible before, but now it looks like it's running around
with the front suspension at full droop all the time. (MAYBE an
exaggeration, but not by much!!)

I actually have seriously considered buying different springs, (like
from GoodParts) but we just had another baby girl about 2 months ago,
and right now coil springs are not a top priority!!

I appreciate any input and suggestions.

Pete Chadwell
1973 Triumph TR6