RE: coil question

To: "'Philip E. Barnes'" <peb3@cornell.edu>,
Subject: RE: coil question
From: "Bob Danielson" <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:31:50 -0400
Phil,
Make sure you don't have the Lucas Sport coil with an internal ballast. If
it's the DLB 105, I'm pretty sure it has an internal ballast. You can test
it with a multi-meter. If it measures 3.0 ohms, it has an internal ballast.
1.5 ohms and it has no ballast.

When I was having my coil concerns I got the following reply from Dan
Masters:

"Yes, It would still run, but if you had a non-internal ballast coil, with
1.5 ohms, it would overheat and have a shortened life. If you have a 3 ohm
coil and kept the ballast, the engine would run, but not as well, as the
coil would not be getting the full voltage. I have seen some folks use an
aftermarket 1.5 ohm coil with the coil makers external ballast added to the
original ballast, yet the car still ran well enough that they didn't notice
the problem. With two ballast resistors in the circuit, the coil was getting
much less voltage, which means a much weaker spark, but the engines still
ran."

Keep in mind that my '75 needs a ballast.

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org