RE: TR4 Brake light switch

To: ecamardella@cusd.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR4 Brake light switch
From: "Frank & Sandy Crowe" <thecrowes@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:40:27 +0000
>>I've  replaced all components in my brake system, with the exception of
>>the brake light switch, which is actuated by hydraulic pressure.  Since it
>>was  in contact with DOT 3 a decade+ ago, I think it's a potential fluif
>>leak after I fill the system with DOT 5.  What's the list.wisdom?<<

I have had DOT 5 in my TR3 for fifteen years and love it, but have come to
the conclusion that DOT 5 and the hydraulic switches don't mix well.  I have
replaced mine several times, and have dismantled one to find that the
silicone fluid tends to leak past the little rubber diaphram and coat the
contacts.  When that happens, the lights don't come on until you press REAL
hard on the brakes, or not at all.

I currently have on my "round-tuit" list to add a mechanical (late TR4)
switch in replace the hydraulic switch.

Any others out there with DOT 5 fluid that have had the same experience?????

Frank
   '59 TR3 TS55223L
   '54 Swallow Doretti (20th build of 276)