New Starter

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: New Starter
From: Tom Bottman <tbottman@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:19:23 -0600
Starter problems with my 74 TR6 lead me to replace the starter switch, the
starter relay, and finally narrowed the problems to the solenoid. Realizing
that the starter was very old, I decided to spend the bucks for one of the
new starter/solenoid units that TRF sells.
Removed the old unit and installed the new one (that top mounting nut is
certainly a bugger to get a wrench on!).
Starter worked like a charm, zipping the engine into action nicely.
However, when I depressed the clutch peddle, a metal-on-metal grinding sound
happened. I turned the engine off and depressed the clutch pedal several
times, and it felt normal and did not make any sound. Tried it again with
the engine running and the grinding noise came back.
So, I figured I must have somehow dropped something in the housing. So, took
the thing apart again and have been fishing around with the long flexible
magnet, to no avail.
Any ideas before I put it all back together?
Tom Bottman
74 TR6, 59 Tr3A