Re: New Starter

To: tbottman@earthlink.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Starter
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:28:08 EDT
In a message dated 7/31/2005 5:19:08 PM Central Standard Time,
tbottman@earthlink.net writes:
> Starter problems with my 74 TR6 lead me to replace the starter switch, the
> starter relay, and finally narrowed the problems to the solenoid. Realizing
> that the starter was very old, I decided to spend the bucks for one of the
> new starter/solenoid units that TRF sells.
> Removed the old unit and installed the new one (that top mounting nut is
> certainly a bugger to get a wrench on!).
> Starter worked like a charm, zipping the engine into action nicely.
> However, when I depressed the clutch peddle, a metal-on-metal grinding sound
> happened. I turned the engine off and depressed the clutch pedal several
> times, and it felt normal and did not make any sound. Tried it again with
> the engine running and the grinding noise came back.
> So, I figured I must have somehow dropped something in the housing. So, took
> the thing apart again and have been fishing around with the long flexible
> magnet, to no avail.
> Any ideas before I put it all back together?
> Tom Bottman
> 74 TR6, 59 Tr3A

Could be the thrust washer.  Try this:  Press on the clutch with the engine
off.  Next, get out of the car (with the engine still off) and grab a large
screwdriver.  Poke the screwdriver between the steering rack and the front
pully
and push back on the pulley.  If it moves backwards more than .010 inches
(like maybe 1/4 inch) then you have dropped a thrust washer in the pan.  You
can
replace these with the engine in the car so it's not the end of the world if
you caught it in time and haven't damaged the crankshaft.

This is an easy test and my philosophy is to check the easy things first,
even if you don't think that is it.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6