Re: TR6/250 water temp sending uints

To: twakeman@razzolink.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6/250 water temp sending uints
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:04:15 EDT
In a message dated 8/8/2005 5:40:19 PM Central Standard Time,
twakeman@razzolink.com writes:
> Does anyone the differences between a TR6 and a TR250 water temperature
> sending unit?
>
> I have a gauge from an unknown 6 cyl TR and the sender unit I have (did
> not come with gauge) seems to be reading just a tad high to me.
>
> I'm wondering if they both have the same mounting threads and if one
> might be calibrated just a little higher than the other.

I don't know if there is any difference but I would be mildly surprised if
there was any.  But all the TR4 - 6 gauges require the use of a voltage
stabilizer.  Without it they will read high by about 1/4 scale.  Unlike the
gauges
used in the TR3 (and the TR7-8) there is no compensating coil to stabilize the
gauge reading with varying system voltages.  Instead they use a constant
average
source voltage provided by the stabilizer.  When these things go bad (and
they do) the gauge will either not work or read high.

Dave Massey