America's Reliability Run: Thank You

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net, stag@digest.net,
Subject: America's Reliability Run: Thank You
From: "Blake J. Discher" <bdischer@blakedischer.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 00:19:04 -0400
Hello fellow Triumph enthusiasts,

A huge thank you to the many, many list members that donated to the
National Children's Cancer Society (NCCS) and helped make the 2005
America's British Reliability Run the success that it was this past
weekend.  I'll be sending each of you personal thank you in the next
week or so.  A few route book glitches didn't seem to upset anyone
too much or get them lost entirely!

Here are some interesting numbers:

Expected fundraising total for NCCS: at least $31,000, donations
still coming in
Cars entered: 45
Cars withdrawn: 1
Debilitating breakdowns prior to start of run: 1
Broken Classic Minis exchanged for gigantic 1962 Cadillacs: 1
Gigantic Cadillacs named honorary British car: 1
Police officers late to escort us out of hotel lot at start: 1
Teams pulled over by Indiana's finest during run for speeding: 1
Tickets issued: 0, warning provided
Cars completing run: 43
Cars unable to finish due to breakdown within 10 miles of finish: 1
Route distance: 590 miles
Total miles driven, all cars: 25,950
Sore bums: at least 75
Cars that ran out of fuel: 1
British taxis repaired in hotel parking lot by topless mechanic: 1
Complaints about Route 513 not existing on Day 1: 5
Complaints about the malted milkshakes at the Big Dipper in Converse,
Indiana: 0
Teams likely lost in Lafayette, Indiana due to error in Route Book: ALL
Teams graciously not voicing complaints about Lafayette error: ALL
U-turns by teams following me after I missed a turn: 7
Bride/Groom given Spitfire for use after wheel on nuptial horse-drawn
carriage breaks: 1
Very happy grooms, perhaps for the wrong reason: 1
Age of youngest team member: 9
Age of oldest team member: 84
Long distance award, navigator: Anthony Pearson, from Australia
Long distance award, driver: Rob Sass, Daimler SP250, from St. Louis

Watch for the January, 2006 issue of Automobile Magazine, they're
planning a feature story about the run.  Seven of their writers
fielded seven British cars, details at
<http://automobilemag.com/features/0510_british_reliability_run/>.
The event web site is <http://www.abrr.org>.  It was definitely a fun
run, thanks again for your financial support.

Cheers,
Blake Discher, event organizer

===     http://www.vtr.org