Re: Being single has it's advantages

To: dorpaul@negia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Being single has it's advantages
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:38:26 EST
In a message dated 11/22/2005 9:10:27 AM Central Standard Time,
dorpaul@negia.net writes:
> Being single has it's advantages...like
>
> for several days I've left my temperature gauge from my TR3 on the stove top
> and submerged in water on a burner along with a cooking thermometer.
> Doesn't water boil at 213 degrees F (the tiny bubbles jump to the water's
> surface)?  If so, the thermometer needs an 'adjustment'.

Not necessarily.  Before boiling begins dissolved gasses will come out of
solution (just as in an open bottle of pop).  And as Randall pointed out, the
boiling point will deviate from the textbook 212F as a result of you altitude
and
impurities in the water.  The only truly accurate way to check the accurate
way is to compare it to a known standard.  This is no trivial matter but can be
done for under $100.  But not by a whole lot.  How much do you want to spend?

> Thankfully, the gauge wakes up from 185 to 208 (this last number arrived at
> with the aid of a highly scientific interpolation formula<g>.)  I am not
> sure I can totally trust the 'ole 60 TR3 gauge to be accurate even for this
> 23 degree range.  My question is this:  what one number, between say 185 and
> 215, should I try to get the gauge accurate for?  This way, when I'm 'goin
> down the road' (if I ever get it runnin), and it creeps above, say 201 (for
> example), i'll know somethings up.

It is good that you are thinking of a single point calibration since the only
adjustment available to you is rotating the needle on the shaft.  But the
gauge is only a rough indication of the temperature and do you compensate for
parallax error or not?  Do you calibrate it to the right edge of the 185 mark,
the middle or the left edge?

I second Randall's suggestion and just drive it and see where it likes to run
and then forget about it unless it gets much beyond that point.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org