Re: Being single has it's advantages

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Being single has it's advantages
From: "Kurtis" <tr4driver@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:02:57 -0600
> Being single has it's advantages...like
>
> for several days I've left my temperature gauge from my TR3 on the stove
> top
> and submerged in water on a burner along with a cooking thermometer.
> Doesn't water boil at 213 degrees F (the tiny bubbles jump to the water's
> surface)?  If so, the thermometer needs an 'adjustment'.
>
> Thankfully, the gauge wakes up from 185 to 208 (this last number arrived
> at
> with the aid of a highly scientific interpolation formula<g>.)  I am not
> sure I can totally trust the 'ole 60 TR3 gauge to be accurate even for
> this
> 23 degree range.  My question is this:  what one number, between say 185
> and
> 215, should I try to get the gauge accurate for?  This way, when I'm 'goin
> down the road' (if I ever get it runnin), and it creeps above, say 201
> (for
> example), i'll know somethings up.
>
> I've yet to put in either a 185 or a 195 degree thermostat.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul Dorsey

Paul,

Water boils at 212 degrees F.  It can't get any hotter than that under
normal atmospheric pressure (sea level is the benchmark I suppose) no mater
how hard it's boiling.

I have a Celsius gauge in my TR4.  The mid-point marking on the thing is 70
degrees C, which is only about 156 degrees F (if I remember correctly).  I
checked the coolant temperature with a candy thermometer one time, and
discovered that the actual temperature was about 185 F when the gauge was at
the mid point, and 195 F when it was at the upper mark of the mid range (the
non-metric gauges are marked a little differently).

The metric gauges seem to have a screwed up scale.  185 F seems a lot more
reasonable operating temperature than 156 F (to me anyway).  I now know what
the temperature is when the gauge is at the mid point.  If it gets higher
than that, then I sweat a little. ;)  It sometimes creeps up to the upper
mid-range mark, but never passes it.

I would guess that you would want your gauge to be accurate at the normal
operating temperature... say 185 F?

And BTW, I did all my temperature experiments while married... just don't
tell my wife about the confiscated candy thermometer.  I now have it safely
hidden in the garage. ;)

Kurtis Jones
Russellville, Arkansas
1963 TR4 - CT19389L