RE: TR3A Alternator conversion

To: "'Kevin Thompson'" <kthompson@whoi.edu>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A Alternator conversion
From: "Bob Danielson" <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 08:46:32 -0500
Kevin,
I can't help you with a TR3 but my site does a good job of documenting a
late TR6 conversion. You may be able to gleam some info from there as well
as a couple of links dealing with the Delco unit. If you need Dan's VTR
article on the conversion, let me know as I have a copy that I saved. I had
to go to a alternator repair shop to get the right sized pulley. I brought
them the original and they were able to size it from there and install it on
the Delco. Only cost me about $10 as I recall. As far as mounting goes,
you're limited by the engine mount itself if that makes sense. Basically you
want all the pulleys to line up and the alternator not blocking any engine
components you need to access. Your belt length will be dependent on the
mounting arrangement. I was lucky in that I was able to reuse my existing
belt.

The alternator upgrade and Dan's harness are well worth the time and
expense. I've also documented installing Dan's harness on my site. Take your
time and enjoy all the wiring knowledge of your TR that you'll gain from
this experience.

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org