RE: TR6 Fuel pump

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Fuel pump
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 08:36:46 -0800
>   I've recently rebuilt the original Lucas fuel pump on my TR6  with a kit
> from Moss, but it has started to leak.  Someone recommended a Facet solid
> -state pump to replace the old Lucas one but a mechanic friend said not to, as
> the solid -state pumps sound like a .30 cal machine gun rat-a-tat-tatting.
> Any thoughts?

The rectangular Facet pumps do make a little bit of noise, but I sure wouldn't
compare them to a machine gun, unless the machine gun was in the next county.
How you mount them makes a big difference too.  I have one on my Stag, mounted
in the trunk to an improvised bracket with rubber grommets that in turn bolts to
the original fuel pump mounts.  Even with the engine not running, I have to
listen carefully to hear it from the driver's seat.  It's not objectionable at
all, just a gentle reminder not to leave the pump running with the engine off.
But it probably is as loud as the clock in those old Rolls Royce commercials <g>
With the engine idling, I cannot hear the pump unless I stick my head in the
trunk.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org