Re: TR6 Fuel Pump

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Fuel Pump
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:02:41 EST
Hi Bruce,
   Mount the facet on rubber bushings to reduce noise a lot. There are
mounting kits available that include all the necessary parts. Also, mount it
externally, under the car, instead of in the trunk like so many people do.
External
mounting also seems a little safer to me.
   I have a Facet mounted on the inboard side of the lever shock bracket on
my TR4, using rubber bushes. The car is not yet back on the road yet, so I
can't give you a report on it. But, I had a Weiand electric pump mounted in the
trunk before, and could hear it "bumping", but really only before starting the
engine and maybe a little when idling. 2-1/4" exhaust and headers pretty much
covered the noise of the pump while driving!
    I've heard of, but not tried, reducing the voltage a little with a
resistor to reduce the noise of fuel pumps, too.
   Be sure to get the right Facet, not too high pressure. They make a variety
of pumps. You still might need to add a fuel pressure controller as well.
    There are other designs of pumps available, that are quieter operating.
One type, I think, is referred to as a "gerotor" or something like that. That
type is also less prone to "pulse" fuel pressure, gives a more even flow, but
seemed a lot more expensive the last time I looked. Perhaps your mechanic
friend can recommend something.
    Shop around for better prices. Some places charge ridiculous amounts for
these. I recommend www.racerpartswholesale.com, www.summitracing.com and
www.jegs.com as good sources for Facets (and other fuel pumps).
    Cheers!
    Alan Myers
    San Jose, Calif.
    '62 TR4 CT17602L
a mechanic friend said not to, as
the solid -state pumps sound like a .30 cal machine gun rat-a-tat-tatting.
Any thoughts?
Bruce

===     http://www.vtr.org