Re: rheostat switches

To: dorpaul@negia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rheostat switches
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 07:59:24 EST
In a message dated 12/27/2005 11:42:11 PM Central Standard Time,
dorpaul@negia.net writes:
> List,
> Is there a difference between the heater fan switch and the panel light fade
> switch?  They both look similar and, I guess, are just rheostat switches.

I, too, noticed the similarity but looking closer I noticed there is a
difference in the max resistance with the panel light dimmer having about twice
the
max resistance as the fan rheostat.  Will a dimmer rheostat work in the fan
circuit?  Probably, but I haven't tried it.  My main concern is that since the
panel dimmer will give the same speed control over 1/2 the rheostat's winding
(as compared to the fan rheostat) the heat generated by the windings will be
distributed over a shorter length of winding and it may overheat and burn out.
Unless, of course, you use it as most probably do and use either full speed or
off.  But in that case all you need is a switch (a la TR4).

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org