Re: TR6 Stereo Installation

To: mrlaing2002@hotmail.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Stereo Installation
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 08:16:12 EST
In a message dated 12/28/2005 5:27:40 AM Central Standard Time,
mrlaing2002@hotmail.com writes:
> 1) I recently purchased a new stereo CD deck for my 76 TR6, as I've always
> wanted to improve the sound in my car (the stock AM/FM stereo is quite
> crackly).  I've already replaced the speakers and rebuild the console panels
>
> that hold the speakers.  However, I do not want to remove the origional
> deck, as I still want the car to look origional.  Therefore, I was trying to
>
> think of creative places I could install the deck, that would be hidden, yet
>
> functional.

One slick installation I once saw had the more modern unit mounted in the
glove box leaving the original deck in the original location.  Close the door
and
no one's the wiser.  One drawback is it is a bit inconvenient for the driver
to adjust the radio whilst driving.  The other drawback is you loose the glove
box as a storage unit.

> 2) Has anyone installed rear speakers.  Where have you installed them?

If you remove the rear bulkhead trim panel you will notice that in the lower,
outside corners there is a bevel in the fuel tank that will allow you to
mount some speakers in the trim panels such that the magnets extend into that
space.

Another option is that if you are willing to give up some depth in the parcel
shelf area you can build a false floor and mount the speakers in that area.

But one problem with rear mounted speakers is that the top, when folded, will
muffle the sound to some extent.  But there is practically no other option
for speaker placement.  I have seen speakers mounted in the kick panels in the
footwells but I don't like that location because the backside is exposed to the
water thrown up by the front tires that WILL get past the rubber seals on the
blanking panels.

> I have dreamed for many years of actually being able to hear the music while
>
> I drive.
> Any suggestions?

There has been much talk of Miata seats or Fiero seats with speakers mounted
in the headrests.  This is one step short of headphones and is probably the
best bet if you can pull it off.  Let us know.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org