Re: [TR] wiring harness laughs chapter 2

To: "Eureka Saws Co, Inc." <ambritts@ptdprolog.net>,
Subject: Re: [TR] wiring harness laughs chapter 2
From: tr3driver@comcast.net (Randall)
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 16:12:33 +0000
From: "Eureka Saws Co, Inc." <ambritts@ptdprolog.net>
> Exactly, and as a thought for the rest of us who never owned or drove these
> at night, when I am done I will explain what is suppose to happen. For
> example, do the flashers (little lights) come on when you pull to the first
> position.Or do they come on when you activate the blinker switch. My fronts
> come on with the fist position but not the rears. The one rear comes on when
> the blinker switch is activated by appears dim (like me) as if not grounded.

On a TR2-3, the front turn signals and parking lamps are in the same
bulb/fixture.  The dimmer parking lamps should come on solid when you pull the
headlight switch to the first position.  The brighter turn signals should flash
only with the ignition on and the turn signal lever moved to the side.  Left
side = left turn lamp only; right side = right turn only.

In the rear on a 59 TR3A, the turn signals are separate and the park/brake
lights are combined.  Again, the dimmer parking lamps should come on with the
headlight switch pulled to the first position.  The turn signals work as above.
 The brighter brake lights should come on only with the ignition on, and the
brake pedal depressed (with some force, they are actuated by hydraulic pressure
rather than pedal position).

Best I can tell, the factory did not provide separate ground wires for the rear
lamps.  The original ground through the mounting screws and those push-on nuts
is far from secure.  But the connections are in the fixtures, and IMO adding a
ground harness is a very worthwhile modification.  I daisy-chained all 5
fixtures to one ground wire, which runs around the side of the trunk along with
the harness, and is fastened to one of the gas tank mounting bolts.  You'll
need some bullets, which you can either scrounge from your old wiring harness
or buy new from British Wiring (sorry, don't have the link on this computer).
A ring terminal to fit the gas tank mounting bolt should be available from your
local electronics supply or Radio Shack.  As usual, I recommend that the
connections to the wire be made with solder (in addition to the crimp for the
ring terminal).

Last I looked, reprints of the 6th edition of "Practical Hints for the
Maintenance of the Triumph T.R.3" were available new from the usual suspects.
It is the "owners manual" for the later TR3A/B, and contains little tips like
how to turn the headlights on and what fluif to use in your trunnions.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org