RE: [TR] TR3A Vacuum Advance Connection

To: "Bill & Skip Pugh" <anabil007@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3A Vacuum Advance Connection
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 12:42:25 -0700
> Always a pain in the ass trying to remove or replace it as the wrench
> size is "unknown",

Like all the other hex fasteners on the carbs, it's a "Whitworth" size.  Don't
recall which one offhand, but one of my Whitworth wrenches fits perfectly.  Same
thing for the nuts on the dampers, nuts on the float bowls, nuts on the linkage,
etc.

> >As I looked to hook up the vacuum advance on my '59 TR3A, I find no place to
> >connect it to at the carburetor end.  The Moss diagram on page 25 of ther
> >catalog shows a "union" that goes on the front carb underneath near the bolt
> >base.  This part number--371-100--is listed as NA.  My carb has a flat bolt
> >there with no connector.

I agree with others, remove the bolt and you'll probably find where the "union"
goes.  Unfortunately, you'll probably also find that the threads in the carb
body are buggered, since the union has a tapered (pipe) thread and bolts rarely
do.  You'll know if it's the right hole, though, since it will have a small
passage that reaches into the carb throat just in front of the throttle plate.
If you hold the piston up and peer into the throat, you may be able to see the
other end of the hole.

>  Come to think of it, I did have a bag of parts from
> >when I picked the car up in the shed where it had been stored for 30 years,
> >and there were some vacuum hoses loose there, but none attached when I
> >dismantled the car.

1/16" soft copper "refrigeration" line will work as a substitute.

> Uhm, but when I look at page 84 of the Moss catalog at the distributor
> diagram, I see two chjoices for vacuum line for the non-rubber vaccuum
advance
> model I have, and one of these shows a vacuum line adaptor, part number
> 378-240, which is available, but doesn't show where on the carbs that it
hooks
> up to.

I think you are misreading the diagram.  371-980 is only for TR4 with ZS carbs
(which had a push-on fitting sticking out of the carb).  I believe 371-950 is
the correct advance line for your car.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org