[TR] TR6 steering rack - how to tighten?

To: "Triumphs Digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR6 steering rack - how to tighten?
From: "Lanoway, Brian" <Brian_Lanoway@standardaero.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 09:21:34 -0500
Does anyone have any tricks of the trade or tools that one can use to spread
apart the steering rack mounts on a TR6 while you try to tighten the U-bolts?
I can't seem to get mine tight or to stay tight.  I can't make C-Clamps work
and spreading the mounts with a broomstick pressed against the water pump seem
to be a bad idea.

As suggested a while back on the list, I've also tried to tighten the mounts
by forcing the steering to one side and then the other.  Didn't work in my
case.  There must be a better way or a tool that I can use for this.

Thanks much in advance,

Brian Lanoway
1973 TR6

===     http://www.vtr.org